Log in

No account? Create an account
Question. - Delaying Vaccination [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Delaying Vaccination

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Question. [Feb. 25th, 2011|06:57 pm]
Delaying Vaccination


When my daughter was 14 months old she had her MMR shot. A few days later she broke out in a rash. She was lethargic and had a fever. I took her back to the DR's office. The first Doc couldn't figure out what was wrong with her so he called in 3 other Doctors. Finally, they decided that she had a reaction to the MMR shot. My daughters doctor even said that she was probably already immune to it from breastfeeding. Since then I have not vaccinated any of my children. My daughter is now 4 her older brother is 5 and we have another one on the way.
I am getting a LOT of flack from the school system and I am not sure if I want to start getting them vaccinated again. I know she will not have another MMR or the chicken pox vaccine (she already had the pox).
My son has had one chicken pox shot and I decided not to follow through with the rest when I saw how easy it really to treat the chicken pox.
I'm having issues with figuring out which way to go. We have another one on the way and I don't want to load our new baby full of shots before s/he can build their own immune system.

Does any one have any suggestions as far as shot series they actually completed and ones that they really think we need to stay away from? Did you get any shots when your baby was born?

[User Picture]From: hapersmion
2011-02-26 04:12 pm (UTC)
I haven't gotten shots for either of my newborns. With my first, we did start the normal schedule at 2 months, and kept up with it until 9 months, so he got the full series of HepB, polio, Hib, three doses of PCV, and four of DTaP. HepA and rotavirus weren't yet recommended by our doctor at the time. We never did flu shots, either, I didn't think the flu was dangerous enough to warrant vaccination. Then we started delaying, and have only gotten him the Measles monovalent shot since then, right before he turned three. He got natural chicken pox around the same time. He never had any trouble with any of it, but I didn't feel like the vaccine schedule was well-researched or safe enough to be worth following.

For my second son, who just turned one, we haven't gotten any shots at all. He's been fine too - without the persistent, itchy rash my first son kept getting after each set of shots. (I didn't connect the two until I got his medical records when we switched doctors and saw how the timing lined up.) We plan to start at age two, when the blood-brain barrier is more developed. We'll do three doses of DT ot DTaP, haven't decided which yet. At age three I would like to start MMR split up, but they've stopped making the monovalent vaccines in the US. :( So now we'll have to decide whether to get the regular MMR all at once, or not get it at all, and I'm not really happy with either option, unless they start making them split up again by then. Later on sometime, before puberty, we'll do some polio, probably, even though it's eradicated in nearly the whole world... The other vaccines don't seem worthwhile to me.
(Reply) (Thread)